Exercise AT work. Stay Fit at the Office!
Lets face it… working out in your office desk chair is kinda weird. How many of you do tricep dips at your computer? When it comes to fitting MORE activity into your office space there are ways to do it without looking awkward or ticking off your boss. With the knowledge, preparation, and planning you CAN make more movement HAPPEN. That doesn’t necessarily mean running a couple miles at lunch. It’s all about being SMART and making opportunities to move throughout the course of the workday. Every little bit counts and adding extra spurts of activity into your working days REALLY ads up. Here are my TOP tips to fit more fitness into your 9-5:
- TAKE THE STAIRS TAKE THE STAIRS TAKE THE STAIRS!
- Go for a walk…in the office. Hand-deliver that report or discuss an issue in person instead of via email.
- Wear comfortable shoes to work (or even WALK to/from) work if you can. Keep a pair of dress shoes with you or in the office and put them on only when necessary.
- Fill your water bottle. Drink it and replenish it often. (This might result in a few extra trips to the bathroom, but that’s okay!). Take the long way to the water cooler.
- Sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair. This will strengthen your abs and back and you’ll work on your posture without even trying.
- Set an alarm to go off every hour to remind you to stand up and move around. Even if you just swing your arms or take a deep breath, you’ll feel more alert.
- Use the restroom on another floor and take the stairs
- Use a pedometer and keep track of how many steps you take. Aim for 6,000 to 10,000 steps a day.
- Deliver documents or messages to co-workers in person rather than by email
- Eat your lunch AWAY from your desk. Walk to lunch or go to a nearby park. Enjoy a longer route back to the office when your done.
- Get a headset for your phone so you can move around while you talk.
- Socialize and exercise. Grab a co-worker and walk around the block. You’ll be surprised by how many people will want to join you. Raining? TAKE THE STAIRS TAKE THE STAIRS TAKE THE STAIRS!
You might also ask human resources about getting an office gym, holding some fitness classes in the conference room or providing incentive programs to help workers shape up. Increasingly, companies are realizing that fit workers mean a healthier bottom line — so workplace fitness is a win for everyone.
Fearless Fitness Challenge of the week: Share YOUR healthy Habit!
Heres my challenge to YOU this week: I want you to MOVE more throughout your workday. Leave a comment below with one healthy work habit YOU will start this week to keep active at the office. Everyone has different ideas and the MORE the better! Your comments can inspire someone else to add more health into their working world. Ill read them and keep you accountable for keeping your healthy office habit and getting more fitness in your life. Together we are stronger. Can’t wait to read your posts this week and hear about your office stair workouts 😉
Other things to check out this week:
- Caroline Jordan Fitness Favorites
- Free Stretching Video: Evening Routine
- Natomas Fitness Extravaganza. Join me for a day of ideas and information! Aug. 27th. SAVE THE DATE!
- Are You A FAN?!