I love the holidays. I enjoy the festive parties, savor seasonal foods, and take a few days off in a row (WOO HOO). But since my body isnt used to being a monday through sunday socialite, sometimes I feel the effects of all the events add up. When my energy, digestion, sleep, or workouts get off kilter Im not a happy camper. Thats why I try to plan ahead and balance the holiday festivities with healthy habits. Regular workouts, clean meals, and lots of water ensure that Im not a complete mess come New Years. Here are a few products I keep in my back pocket to aid in managing my energy and fitness throughout the season. Remember it’s not about what you choose to eat or how you choose to celebrate between Christmas and New Years that matters, but about HOW you balance what you eat and celebrate within your healthy, active, life.
Caroline’s “Keep Me Healthy During the Holidays” Product List. For digestion, energy, and being your best self!
- The Original Yoga Tune Up Therapy Balls By Jill Miller. You knew this one was coming. These balls are pretty much the cure for anything. Long flight got your upper back in knots? Roll it out. Car drive making your lower back cry? Drive with the balls against your back and the seat. Feet hurting from a long night dancing in those adorably high heels? Take your toes to the balls. Head hurt from one too many glasses of wine? Ball + head = instant relief. I could go on forever, but you get the point. These balls are medicine and a must if you want to feel your best during the holiday season. Period.
- Kevita Organic Strawberry Acai Coconut Sparkling Probiotic Drink. Im addicted to these sparkling probiotic drinks and use them to help me have a happy gut throughout the holidays (yes I said that). Kevita is a bubbly beverage with four strains of live probiotic. “Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that reside in the gut. Intestinal health depends, to a large extent, on having an ample supply of these beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. Research indicates that probiotics may support immune and digestive health.” During the holidays our daily stress levels can be so high and schedules so fast paced. Stress undermines our healthy digestive flora. A combination of a poor diet, medications, stress, environmental toxins and chemicals wreak havoc on our digestive tracts. Many believe that our bodies thrive with a constant influx of probiotics to replenish the gut and counteract these negative effects. I drink a few Kevita drinks a week, they are the perfect alternative to soda or cocktails AND have the added health benefits. Im in love with all of the flavors and keep my gut happy with their delicious probiotic drinks!
- Green Juice. Green/Vegetable juices are loaded with amino acids (the building blocks of protein), minerals, vitamins, fiber & chlorophyll. They provide loads of anti-oxidants which helps improve the function of all of the body’s functions. Juicing helps fill the gap for people that many be deficient in certain nutrients they are not getting from foods (like when its the holiday season and your diet is not as healthy!). The nutrients from juices are easily absorbed by the body. When we consume the fresh juice it requires little digestion, which means all it nutritional goodness gets rapidly absorbed into your system. Drinking these power packed beverages can help you get the nutrition you need even when you are super busy. Since its rare during the holiday season to have time to prepare and blend, healthy local juice companies can provide you with convenient ways to drink your greens. Project Juice, Urban Remedy, the Juice Shop…. there are lots of healthy options to choose from! Some companies like Organic Overload even deliver your juice FOR YOU. Hows THAT for staying healthy during the busiest time of year??
- Veggie-Gos. I fell in love the moment I met Veggie-Go’s fruit and vegetables strips. Its the perfect on the go holiday snack and an easy way of incorporating fruits and veggies into your diet. Veggie-Go’s fit easily in a purse, or pocket, diaper bag or gym pack. They offer 1/2 serving of fruit AND 1/2 serving of veggies in every strip, less than 1/3 the sugar of the leading fruit strip (no added sugar), and are organic and Non-GMO. With many unique and DELICIOUS flavors your taste buds will love eating more vegetables. I cant stop thinking about the sweet potato pie flavor, which at only 20 calories a strip is a MUCH friendlier version than its 500 calorie sweet potato pie cousin. When you have healthy snacks on hand you are less likely to binge on un-healtheir alternatives. Veggie-Gos can be ordered online or picked up at your local Whole Foods Market.
- doTERRA Essential Oils Introductory Kit. I’m the first one to admit that I was a bit skeptical about the belief of slathering some good smelling oil on your skin can cure insomnia, depression, backaches, stress, and the never ending list of ailments. But then again most medicine we take are based on nature’s elements found in plants, herbs, etc. So it’s not that far fetched that oils can have positive health effects. Essential oils have been used throughout history in many cultures for their medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Modern trends towards more holistic approaches to self care and growing scientific validation of alternative health practices are driving a rediscovery of the profound health benefits of essential oils. DoTerra’s essential oils can be applied directly on the skin, smelled, or even digested for different benefits. You can use different scents to calm you down, lift you up, ease stomach pain from heavy holiday meals, the list goes on. I use them in epsom salt baths to relax, under my nose to aid in winter congestion, and to help when my stomach isnt feeling its best from too much traveling. You can read more about all the essential oils on DoTerra’s online catalog. My favorite scent is serenity – inhale, exhale, and say “ahhhhhh”.
- SKINCERITY Face + Body Oil. The weather, craziness, and abundance of makeup during the holiday season causes my skin to get SUPER dry. I used to use store bought products that promised clear, healthy skin. But since working with SF based esthetician Ashley Curtis, Ive discovered a more natural way to soothe the winter dry skin away. Her “SKINCERITY Face and Body Oil”. She makes this product herself from cold-pressed, 100% organic, locally sourced ingredients including: Jojoba Oil (mimics skin’s sebum, tricking it into producing less oil), Evening Primrose Oil (particularly helpful in balancing hormonal breakouts), Geranium Oil (natural anti-inflammatory), and Neroli (anti-aging). This oil can be used as a cleanser, eye make-up remover & as a moisturizer. Since using this product my skin no longer suffers from winter dryness! A great face oil is an essential part of your skin’s regular diet and will help you keep a youthful appearance and a happy, healthy glow ! You can contact her HERE for more information on this all-natural skin food. Makes a great holiday gift as well.
- Easy Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Drink. I swear by this drink! Its pretty much the cure for everything and my secret to shiny skin, proper digestion, a healthy weight, and lasting energy. I drink it every morning. Click here to learn how to mix it up using ingredients you have in your kitchen cabinets.
You can enjoy the holidays without letting them destroy the wellness you value. Having these healthy products on hand will help you navigate the season and STILL feel amazing!
What are your favorite products that help you stay healthy during the holidays? Leave your top tip as comment below, Id love to hear from you! And as always, if you liked this post, please share it with your friends on Facebook, twitter, or email. More content on your way every week to help you live a happy, healthy life!
Happy, healthy holidays to you,
*** Disclaimer: I was not paid to write any of the above reviews. All opinions are my own. These are products I truly LOVE, believe in, and cant live without!***
Other Things To Check Out This Week: