Top Tips to help you get past any healthy lifestyle obstacle.
Living a healthy lifestyle takes time, energy, and effort. With work, family, friends, hobbies, and dozens of other obligations – it can be challenging to find time to exercise or make smart choices. Below are a few common obstacles towards living the “fitness lifestyle” and my solutions to help you make healthy choices second nature. You CAN have it all. Make your health a priority and STAY on track by creating these healthy habits:
FIND Time To Make Healthy Lunches
- Cook in batches once a week. It may take you three or four hours, but it’s more efficient than cooking one hour of every day. Prep a week’s worth of quinoa and chicken breasts on sunday before the crazy week begins!
- Get past the stereotype that it’s “taboo” to bring your lunch. Dont be embarrassed to be healthy. Think of the cash you’re saving! If your co-workers give you a hard time, tell them to BACK off. Better yet, get them to join in your commitment to prepare a healthy lunch. Exchange recipes or bring healthy potlucks to share together. Check out: Cooking Light, Eating Well, or Whole Foods online for smart, time saving dishes and healthy options that are delicious!
- Make your own salad dressing to bring with you. Its fresh, fast, cheap, and BETTER than that processed bottled junk! Try this vinaigrette: 1 TBSP Balsamic vinegar, 4 TBSP mustard, pack of stevia – a thick, balsamic vinaigrette that wont turn your salad into a health hazard.
- Find a gym with a convenient location and hours of operation that work with your schedule. It’s extremely beneficial to join a gym with multiple locations. It also helps to find a gym that makes you feel energized, inspired to move, and COMFORTABLE in your own skin 🙂
- Dont worry about what people say is thae best time to train. Do what works for you because thats when you’ll work the hardest and get the most from your workout.
- Pack your gym bag the night before so you dont forget anything or have an excuse to miss a training session. Store extra hair ties, a spare pair of socks, and a sports bra in there just in case. Better yet, keep a spare set of workout clothes at your office for days when you can sneak away for a lunch time run or afternoon gym session. The eaiser you make it on yourself to fit a workout in – the better your chances are of finding more time!
- Be efficient with your time and pre-plan your workout session. Know what you want to do so you come prepared to move! Better yet, schedule a session with a personal trainer and have them push your limits with new moves and fun workouts.
- Think QUALITY over quantity and aim for intense rather than long workouts. Remember our HIIT intervals? Those work wonders 🙂
- Whittle while you work! Simple changes towards your office habits can boost your activity level signifigantly. Click here for my “working world workout tips” and stay fit at the office.
- Fit it in when you can. Remember – ANYTHING is better than nothing. People often think you need a whole hour of exercise to truly reap the benefits. NOT TRUE. Even 10 minutes will do wonders for you. A little bit of QUALITY time moving will go a long way towards keeping your body fit and healthy. Not convinced? Try out my latest quick fix workout. In nine minutes you’ll break a sweat and give your body and energy boost! Have more time? Repeat the video twice for an 18 minutes total body blast….who says you can’t get a good workout in less than a half hour? Tell me you aren’t sore tomorrow…
- Business Lunches: Research healthy restaurants in your area and suggest alternatives for dates with your work partners. Plan ahead and look at the restaurant menu so you wont be tempted to order something unhealthy. Be the first to order at a restaurant so that your dining partner’s choices don’t influence you to opt for something with more butter 😉
- Happy Hour / Networking Functions: Do colleagues keep offering to buy you a drink? Tell them your DD and take a rain check. If you can’t resist a cocktail, alternate with water and make it a point to stay hydrated. Think before you drink and be choose cocktails that wont KILL your diet. For my tips on the best choices at the bar, click HERE. And DONT FORGET to eat a snack before your event so you aren’t tempted to inhale the happy hour’s diet derailing appetizers!
- Know the difference between being bored and being hungry.
- If you’re feeling stressed, don’t inhale a snack or soothe your anxiety in your co-workers candy jar (or too many drinks at the after work bar!). Get outside of the office for a walk or some fresh AIR. Drink a glass of water and take a moment for a few deep breaths. INHALE. EXHALE. REPEAT!
- Fail to plan and you PLAN to fail. Prevent unhealthy office snack attacks by having healthy options on hand for times when you need a NOURISHING energy boost. Portion out bags of trail mix, oatmeal, and hummus with vegetables. Have fresh fruit, tea, and water constantly near by. Have you had your FIVE servings of fruits and veggies today? Its easy with healthy office treats 🙂
- Get MOTIVATED. Read my Spring Motivation Issue if you need a little gas in your car 🙂
What are your biggest obstacles when it comes to living a fit and healthy lifestyle? DO you have any strategies for success when getting past these roadblocks? Share your tips below and inspire others to incorporate more healthy habits into their daily life.
Please feel free to share your fitness goals, questions, or success stories with me. I love hearing from you and hope to help you on your way towards living healthier everyday. Im always listening 🙂