Don’t you love a long weekend?! Kicking off summer makes a long weekend even sweeter. It’s a great time to relax by being active and spending time with those you love. Whether you are hiking or barbecuing on the beach, here are a few healthy living resources that will make your three-day weekend even more delicious. Included below is my “4 minute sports workout warm-up”, Memorial Day “Move It” Playlist, and a few of my healthy cookout favorites. I hope everyone has a happy, healthy, balanced Memorial Day Weekend and a STRONG start to the Summer Season!
Caroline’s Healthy Memorial Day: Playlist, Workout, and Cookout!
Caroline’s Memorial Day “Move It” Playlist
Caroline’s 4 Minute Sports Warm Up Workout Video
Headed out to play some sports or be active on your long weekend off? Warm up before you go with my quick 4 minute sports warm up workout video. Done before any workout or event, a proper warmup will help you achieve peak performance. A proper warmup increases heart rate, breathing rate, and blood flow to the muscles. It prepares the body for increasingly vigorous activity, allows it to work more efficiently, and reduces injury risk by loosening you up. Warming up before you play a sport is like revving up your own personal engine. A good warm-up routine can lead to better performance and helps reduce the risk of injury. Follow me through this quick, 4 minute routine: a series of air squats, pushups, bridges and ab work to prepare you for a great workout. Repeat the series 2-3 times through if you feel like you need a longer warm-up session. Leave a comment below and let me know if this video got your blood pumping and helped you prepare for a great long weekend of activities!
Caroline’s Healthy Cookout Favorites.
ZICO Melon Mojito
2 cups cubed Honeydew Melon (I like to freeze mine)
1 cup cubed English Cucumber
1 cup ZICO coconut water
12 fresh mint leaves
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Agave or honey squirt
Blend until smooth.
Makes 2 servings.
95 calories per serving.
ZICO Watermelon Breeze
3 cups cubed chilled watermelon
1 cup ZICO coconut water
squeeze of fresh lime
Ice if needed
Sprig of mint
Put all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.
Makes two servings.
90 calories per serving.
Appetizers and Snacks
- Look for dips and spreads in the prepared food section of the store or make a few of party favorites: Baba Ghanouj, Black Bean Hummus, Cream Cheese and Cashew Nut Dip, or Guacamole. Pack them with corn chips, sliced cucumbers, baby carrots or sticks of jicama for dipping
- You can’t go wrong with getting your fruits and veggies. Think grapes, carrots, cherry tomatoes, apples and celery sticks.
- Marinated olives, mushrooms and roasted peppers from your grocery store’s olive bar are perfect for chilled picnic appetizers.
- Do something different and try this Green Pea Hummus from Tasty Eats at Home
- Grilled Mediterranean Chicken (or Tofu) and Grape Skewers from Go Dairy Free
- Grilled Orange Chicken Recipe from Simply Gluten-Free
- Grilled Potato Kebabs with Lemon Herb Drizzle from Go Dairy Free
- Slow Cooker Pulled Barbecue Chicken from Simply Sugar and Gluten free
- Summer Veggie Slaw from Skinny Mom
- Black Bean Mango Quinoa Salad from Cara’s Cravings
- Braised Green Beans and summer vegetables from Delish
- Cucumber Herb Salad from Tasty Eats at Home
- Grilled Lettuce Salad from Simply Gluten Free
- Rainbow Kale Slaw with Fresh Oranges from Go Dairy Free
- Raw Kale Salad with Apples, Carrots, and Purple Cabbage from Simply Sugar and Gluten free
- Roasted Carrot, Lentil, and Sunflower Seed Salad from Daily Bites
- Simple Berry Salad from Simply Sugar and Gluten free
- Tropical Butternut Squash Salad from Cara’s Cravings
- Fresh Fruit can make a simple and satisfying dessert. I love the peaches, strawberries, and apricots that are in season at the moment.
- Chocolate Almond Butter Popsicles
- Cocoa Dusted Almonds
- Raw lemon bar recipe.
- Gluten free Blackberry Cobbler
- The Raw Brownie
One healthy living idea I find helpful in maintaining balance during summer parties is “booze or treat” – not both. If you’re choosing drinks as your treat this weekend stick to clear alcohols with healthy, no-sugar added mixes or wine. If you are indulging in a dessert, take the time to SAVOR it! Remember treats are fine in balance. Don’t go crazy and don’t starve. Find your happy medium.
For more tips on how to stay healthy during summer vacations, please join me for a special webinar Monday May 27th at 10am ”How to Stay healthy During Summer Vacation” with talented co-host Buddy Machua. Cant join us but want to listen in? The link from our talk show will be available for download on iTRAIN’s webiste here. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend spending time with friends and family!
Of course all of the above is fun, but don’t forget: Memorial Day is a time to remember those who have given their lives to this country. A time to appreciate the people in the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard who bravely serve us all. Lets take a moment to be grateful for all of those who fight for our freedom!
What are you up to this Memorial Day? Any fun activities or recipes to share? Wishing you all a happy, healthy long weekend filled with sun!
Other Things To Check Out This Week:
- Fun Photos from the Caroline Jordan Fitness HACKCANCER Bootcamp benefiting LLS. SO MUCH FUN – I cant wait for the next one!
- Quick, Effective, After Workout Massage and Stretching Video. Free 14 minute relaxing routine.
- Is too much stretching bad for you? Yoga Tune Up Takes you from Floppy to Fit.